Thursday, July 26, 2007

Spinning From the Stash

Here is what is on the bobbin right now, Llama fleece that I bought before I had sheep and Llamas! I'm trying to use up my stash so I can plunge into all the Icelandic fleeces and rovings that I have. I am spinning this Llama fleece in the "grease", actually, Llamas have very little lanolin, however, they relish rolling in the dirt at every opportunity. I card it with my hand cards, then spin from the rolags. There are some guard hair in this fleece, I could have pulled it out, but am spinning it as is. The coarsest parts I just tossed out. I will ply this (then wash and set the twist) and send a huge skein to my Dad who is knitting up a storm and wanted some yarn this color! I use a double treadle Lendrum wheel, love the flexibility and portability of the wheel. I've got the plying head, haven't gotten the fast flyer yet (for lace yarn).

No comments: