Saturday, June 16, 2007

Icelandic Lambs are here!


I am finally finding the time to start my farm blog - Our Icelandic lambs were all born in the month of April - I just love the colors and patterns they come in, such beautiful fleeces they have, a mass of pin curls and ringlets... 17 in lambs in all. This little ram lamb is a spotted moorit (reddish brown) badgerface - Some are reserved for other breeders and others we'll keep for our flock, and those that don't make the grade will make wonderful grass fed lamb for the table. I've sent fleeces all over the country, and I'm a spinner myself, so I hope to include photos of current spinning projects on this blog as well. Our sheep shed is nearing the last stage of work - windows for light and ventilation soon, and then siding , and finally - proper roofing! My husband is quite the handyman and does almost all the work himself. Today was the last day of school, summer is now really starting - I celebrated by picking up a flat of Hood strawberries - they have got to be the sweetest strawberry I've ever tasted! I cooked up a batch of whole wheat pastry biscuits to go with the sugared strawberries, and then canned up 5 pints of Red Red Strawberry Jam from the Joy of Cooking, oh how good that will taste on a slice of fresh baked rye bread and butter... Also froze a container of strawberries and sugar. Well I've wandered a bit, but did help a friend shear an alpaca, some very nice white fleece, 2 years worth, and now I can think of blending it with Icelandic lambs wool or on it's own...

No comments: